Thursday, March 22, 2012

Yates Grist Mill Transmission


  Hello Everybody,

 How many of us can say we have seen the gears that drive the grist mill? Last weekend, I got the opportunity to do just that. Historic Yates Mill had a open house/tour, and I got to see the inside of the mill. Nestled in the belly of this mill is the "transmission" as I call it. You can see the gears attached to the water wheel in the left side of of this picture. The belt is driving a feeder system for the grinders. The main "drive" for the granite grinding wheel, for grinding corn, is in the foreground right of this picture. In the rear, you can see another "drive,"it has a wooden shaft for grinding wheat and barley. That stone is made of quartz! They had to import that stone from France. And, it was the only place you could get them! They also ran a sewing machine, a corn schucker machine. And, they also milled lumber here. All from this "transmission!"
I also learned that a "Miller"as he was called, wasn't paid in cash, he was paid by taking a portion of grain milled. For every bushel he milled, he would take a peck. Or, one eighth of a bushel. There are still laws on the books for this type of work.
Picking up pecans in Oklahoma, we would pick on the "half shell". Instead of paying the land owner cash, you would give him half of the pecans you picked up! So, I guess milling was the same way.
But it still amazes me, when I look at this picture, this is technology from 250 years ago!! With everybody looking for ways of "going green," why aren'y these mills aren't running 24 hours a day!
I do know of some mills in my area that are still producing products that can be found in my local grocery store. One even has a generator attached to it that can produce it's own backup electricity if it loses main power. I will eventually get there to take some pictures of it for you.
Well, I hope you enjoyed this picture of the past.

Thanks for visiting and reading my post,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment